Questions and Answers to make you more informed!!!
1.) Where and how often do you practice?
- 13s and 14s- 2 days a week – Days and Locations TBA
- 15s- 3 days a week – Days and Locations TBA
- 16s- 3 days a week- Days and Locations TBA
- 17s- 3 days a week- Days and Locations TBA
- 18s- 3 days a week- Days and Locations TBA
- Mondays and Thursdays- St. Paul’s United Methodist Church
- Tuesday’s, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays – St. Johns Lutheran Church of Highland
- Both practice facilities are based out of the North Hills area near McCandless Crossing/Passvant Hospital/LaRoche University
2.) How many tournaments do your teams participate in and what is included with the players uniform package?
- All teams are guaranteed 7-8 tournaments for the season
- The Nike uniform package for the 2020 season includes: Jacket/Pant Combo with embroidery, 2 uniform jerseys, 1-2 pairs of spandex, bookbag with embroidery, Nike volleyball court shoes.
3.) How long is the season?
- Tryouts for the season fall in October (26th) for 13s and 14s and November (9th) for 15s-18s. There is an informational parent/player meeting at the end of November/beginning of December and practices then begin the second week of December. The season will conclude around the last weekend of April/first weekend of May.
4.) What are the costs for the season?
- 13s and 14s teams are anticipated to be $1775 for this 2020 season
- 15s, 16s, 17s and 18s are anticipated to be $2150 for the 2020 season
5.) How many teams do you roster?
- In most recent years we have rostered one team per age group. If the talent is there to create a second team for the age group we have done it in the past and will consider it again in the future!
6.) Who will be coaching each team?
- Pitt United prides itself on having credible and knowledgeable coaches. Each coach undergoes an interview process, screening process including a criminal background check, child abuse clearance and safe sport course. Each coach also must obtain a concussion clearance certificate and participate in a detailed USA Volleyball training course. Coaches at Pitt United are also given a coaches handbook of the club methods to approach teaching the game and skill set within their teams.
7.) How many players will be selected to each team?
- 9-11 players. No more, no less…
8.) Which schools does your program pull from?
- We love the fact that Pitt United draws from multiple schools in the Pittsburgh region including: North Hills, Moon, Montour, Shaler, Fox Chapel, Seneca Valley, Mars, North Allegheny, Hampton and Pine Richland
9.) Do you do anything regarding the college recruiting process?
- Absolutely. If your daughter is trying to play at the collegiate level we want to help her achieve that goal. We will assist in college coaches communication extending invitations to practices and tournaments, creating a skills tape and setting up college visits between the athlete, parents and coach.
10.) How competitive are your teams?
- Our first priority is to train and get better and our second priority is to compete to win which we do. We have found over the most recent years, we are consistently beating out the other regional teams from this area.
11.) Do you go to National tournaments?
- We evaluate the players on the team to draw the conclusion if they are a “National” team. If they are, we will enter them into a National level tournament which may or may not be any or all of the following:
- Washington DC- Presidents Day Cup
- Philadelphia- Northeast Qualifier
- Indianapolis- Midwest Qualifier
12.) Are hotel stays factored into the overall cost for the season?
- They are not. The cost of the club includes practices, tournaments, uniforms and coaches fees. Travel expenses including hotel stays are in addition to the overall cost or club dues.
13.) Does every girl play?
- The club has a rule in which coaches are to follow
- 13s and 14s- “Every Girl – Every Game.” Each player must play in every game of the season in some capacity.
- 15s, 16s, 17s, 18s- “Every Girl – Every Match.” Each player must play in every match but may not include every game.
- Should players have attendance issues/concerns or be significantly delinquent in their club dues this may be the only real reason why they would not play within the above club policy.
14.) How do you select your teams?
- During the tryout process we evaluate players based on the following:
- Skill set
- Volleyball Knowledge/IQ
15.) Why should we play for Pitt United and not another club in the area?
- Plain and simple… we are so different then your other clubs! This organization was started nine years ago FOR THE PLAYERS. This is not a business mentality money making organization or club which we see from other Pittsburgh regional clubs. We pride ourselves in rostering one team per age group and don’t feel we need more than that! With us- your daughter is on our top team for her age division!!! We put all of our focus and emphasis onto EVERY ONE OF OUR PLAYERS because of this reason! Your child will not get lost into the large abundance of teams and players like other clubs. WE ARE UNITED. We practice together- sometimes travel together and we are an all club support system. There is no drama and nonsense here. At Pitt United- we are here to be better athletes, volleyball players and focus on the common goal of achieving mastery and success in the sport as both an individual and as a team. Lastly, we celebrate and recognize our teams and athletes. There is a lot of work that goes into being a club volleyball player that we love to recognize. Our annual club banquet at the end of the season we take time to recognize all achievements made across the board from 13s-18s so that every person be player, parent, coach or volunteer knows just how valuable of a role they played in making the season that more special for the team and club!